I really can’t believe I have yet to incorporate brie into one of my recipes posted here. My deepest apologies. It is one of my all time favorites… not just in the cheese category… in every category. There are very adorable puppies in this world that I don’t like as much as I like this cheese. If this cheese shows up at a social event that I attend, it is safe to say that I am giving it more attention than any of the humans in the room. I could go on. But I won’t. Because I’d like to continue to be invited to said social events.
Anyway, I was looking for some sort of inspiration on Pinterest yesterday – when I do this, I know it will end in one of two ways: Jenna becoming inspired to run a marathon and give up carbs for life, or Jenna heading home and cooking/eating anything with massive amounts of melted cheese on it. You can see where this is headed.
So here we are, Portobello mushroom caps “stuffed” with a very simple saute of arugula and walnuts, then topped off with a giant slab of brie cheese. It really doesn’t get much better.
BRIE AND ARUGULA STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
3 Portobello mushroom caps
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups arugula
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
3 thick slices brie, room temperature
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wipe down mushroom caps with a damp towel.
3. Place them stem side down in a baking dish and bake for 8-10 minutes, remove from oven and set aside.
4. In a saute pan, cook the shallot and garlic in the olive oil over medium-low heat until they start to caramelize.
5. Add finely chopped walnuts, bread crumbs, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt/pepper cook for a few more minutes stirring frequently.
6. Place arugula in the pan on top of the walnut mixture and mix around until wilted and incorporated.
7. Flip Portobello caps so the stem side is up and pile some of the arugula mixture on each.
8. Bake in oven for another 8-10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and top with THICK slice of brie.
10. Serve immediately!