Did you know that yesterday was National Donut Day?!?! I am so upset that I didn’t get to post this yesterday but either way… Happy Belated National Donut Day! Not only is today Belated National Donut Day, it is also my birthday. Frankly I am a little POed that the real Donut Day didn’t fall on my birthday. That would be suiting wouldn’t it?
Moving on… We are aware of my affinity toward all things miniature … so when I discovered a mini donut baking tin in my most recent order from amazon, I was delighted. That last sentence was a little decieving. Let me clarify. I go through stages from time to time when I have a severe online shopping problem. These little stints mean that sometimes I end up with packages that I completely forgot I ordered… It’s like Christmas! So I must have been in the zone on Amazon and got it in my head that I was going to dominate some mini donuts and here we are.
I went with a coconut donut because I have been really obsessed with coconut lately. I began to follow this recipe but ended up doing my own thing – out of sheer laziness really because I really didn’t want to get dressed and walk a half a block to get milk. Once they were done I made up a method (as you will see below) to roll them in vanilla-scented sugar. If you are lucky enough to have a life, you might not have sugar that you’ve scented with a vanilla bean… in which case, regular sugar is just fine. These were awesome. My only suggestion might be to find another way for the sugar to stick to the donuts as my method results in the donuts becoming insanely moist after a day.
COCONUT MINI DONUTS WITH VANILLA SUGAR
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup + 1/8 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract or flavoring
2 2/3 cups flour
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons water
1 cup vanilla sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Beat together butter, first 1/4 cup oil, and sugars until smooth. Add the eggs and continue to combine.
3. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla and coconut extracts, and mix until fully combined.
4. Begin to add in flour alternating with remaining 1/8 cup oil and 1/4 cup water until everything is incorporated and batter is smooth… almost the consistency of a thick pancake batter.
5. Fill mini donut pan wells ubout 2/3 of the way full and bake for just under 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
6. Remove from pan and place on rack or paper bag to cool.
7. Mix about 2 tablespoons of honey with 4 tablespoons of water and microwave so that they combine.
8. Dip the donuts into the honey/water mixture then put in a large sealable plastic bag with the vanilla sugar to coat.
9. Celebrate National Donut Day and my birthday the way the good Lord intended.