I lived in Sydney, Australia for a semester of college. Much of my existence after 5pm in Sydney is somewhat of a blur however I did manage to take away some cultural experiences from that trip. This is not one of them. This is more along the lines of where I went to feast nachos and breakfast items at 3am. There was a place called Pancakes on the Rocks… nevermind I just Googled it, there IS a place called Pancakes on the Rocks that stayed open… ALWAYS. That’s right, anytime day or night, Christmas, Easter, Administrative Professionals Day, didn’t matter… if you wanted pancakes you got ‘em. Now that I’m back in the good old U. S. of A., I don’t have such luxuries. What I do have, is a phenomenal pancake recipe that you are seriously going to LOVE. Try it this weekend.
Ohh breakfast. Why are you so delicious?
VANILLA BEAN PANCAKES
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup whole milk (or use all buttermilk)
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add egg, buttermilk/milk, vanilla bean seeds, and vanilla extract and combine into a smooth batter.
3. Place skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
4. Once heated, ladle batter into pan forming rounds of your desired size.
5. When air bubbles begin to appear and pop all over the pancake, flip and cook for another minute or so on the other side until golden brown.
6. Remove the pancakes from the skillet and serve warm with butter and syrup!