Let me quickly list the reasons why I am obsessed with this bread:
– It is insanely delicious
– You can melt things on it
– It impresses people when you bake it for them
– It is pretty healthy (until you do what I did to it above)
– It was my ‘gateway bread,’ so to speak
– It is incredibly fast and easy to make
Here is my, slightly altered, version:
HONEY OATMEAL BREAD
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 packet active dry yeast
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2 teaspoons salt
1. Pour the warm water into a bowl and stir in the yeast and 1 tablespoon of the honey. Set aside for at least 5 minutes, until the yeast foams up.
2. Mix the flours, oats, and salt in a large bowl. Add the water/honey/yeast mixture to the dry mixture and stir until fully combined into a dough.
3. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and turn the dough into it. Cover with a damp cloth. Put in a warm place for at least 30 minutes, to rise.
4. After it has risen, brush the top if the loaf with the remaining tablespoon of honey.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with a rack in the middle and bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and turn out of loaf pan right away.